USA BMX Update on COVID-19 (March 11, 2020)
USA BMX continues to monitor the ever-evolving situation associated with the COVID-19 outbreak. Currently, there is no plan to cancel races or practices both locally and nationally. However, we will be monitoring the directives of local, state and federal authorities for direction.
As with everything we do within our organization, safety remains a priority for our BMX family and staff. Our intention is to provide information that will help mitigate the negative impacts of COVID-19, including both the fear of contracting the virus, as well as its spread.
We encourage all of the BMX community to follow the guidelines set forth by their health officials, but we are also suggesting the following steps to stay healthy:
- If you are sick please stay home. Fever free for 24 hours before returning to the track.
- We are encouraging our tracks and national event hosts to add portable hand sanitizing stations and/or hand washing stations. The use of hand sanitizers is helpful, but washing your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds is most effective.
- We are asking tracks to suspend the use of shared or loaner helmets, and encourage riders to wear gloves.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Refrain from handshaking and high fives. Lets fist bump or bump elbows instead
- Get good rest, hydrate and eat well.
If new information indicates a threat or exposure of the virus in a specific market, USA BMX would make a decision at that time regarding cancellation or postponement.
For more information on the COVID-19 and ways to protect your safety, please visit the CDC website by clicking here.