The 2013 WINTERNATIONALS - held in Phoenix on March 1st, at the infamous Black Mountain BMX track, will play host this year to the USA Cycling Collegiate Championships.
Below are the USAC guidelines and rules for the schoolastic class for BMX Racing. Collegiate-Specific Rules and Announcements
1. Challenge Class: The collegiate class is a Challenge/20” class, which will take place
Saturday, March 2 at Black Mountain BMX. Collegiate riders will practice with their respective
age groups on Friday and Saturday. More information about the event is available here.
2. Qualification and Licensing: Riders will need a USA Cycling Collegiate license to enter the
race. All teams must be registered as a Collegiate Club with USA Cycling using this form (the fee
is waived the first year).
3. Full-time Status: All teams must bring proof of their riders’ full-time student status to
registration on this form, signed by their school registrar.
4. Clubs/Registration: Pre-registration is available at www.usabmx.org. The entry fee is $60.
Riders registering for the collegiate class must be sure to register as riding for their college or
university as it is listed in the USA Cycling database (i.e. instead of “CU”, “University of
Colorado-Boulder”). If registering for an additional class under a different sponsor, please
provide a collegiate team roster at number pick-up on site.
5. Scoring: Collegiate teams may bring up to eight men and eight women. Riders will be
ranked on their placing in the main event; those riders not transferring to the main event will
be scored on the three rounds they completed. If two riders are tied, the first tie breaker is
their finish in round 3. The next tie breaker is their finish in round 2, and lastly their finish in
round 1. Team scoring then will proceed as outlined in USA Cycling rules 7I5, 7I6, and Appendix
4. Only the scores of the top three riders from each team count toward the team omnium.
Points go 50 deep for individuals. More information is available in the USA Cycilng rulebook.
6. Clothing: Per USA Cycling rule 6E, all riders for a team must wear identifiably similar
collegiate team jerseys, or blank jerseys with the school’s name or abbreviation prominently
displayed. The school’s name, nickname, or initials must be the most prominent image on the
7. Awards Ceremony: The collegiate awards ceremony after the event will recognize the top
five riders of each gender and the top five teams.
8. Additional Information: Look over the rule book, chapters 6 and 7, and the event page at
usabmx.com. If you have any questions, contact Jeffrey Hansen at USA Cycling.